Friday 18 June 2010

Screen Test Preparations

SCREEN TESTS ON SATURDAY WHAT SHALL I WEAR....
I’M DANCING WITH FOOD TO TRY AND PREPARE.....
IT WILL BE FUN TO MEET ALL MY NEW MATES....
BUT LETS HOPE THEY SUPPLY UNBREAKABLE PLATES!!!

The time is almost here to see if I can realise my childhood dream to appear in an advert!

Anyone who watched my online audition video may already know that this has been my ambition since a certain singing, hoovering lady appeared on screen way back in the early 80’s telling us to “put the freshness back”. Yes, the Shake and Vac lady was my role model and icon! My friends had idols like Toyah and Blondie, but I just wanted to be her.

I was about 10 years old when I decided being on a TV ad was what I would aim for, and the idea stayed with me for a long time. I still remember chatting with the careers advisor at secondary school to be told I needed a more grounded, long term idea for a profession. I think she was right; perhaps starring in a TV advert is not a practical choice as a job for life. So, I became a nurse instead. But it has stayed a private, personal dream ever since. It has long been a bit of a joke with everyone who knows me and even my postman sings “do the shake and vac... and put the freshness back...” every time he sees me.

Anyway all those patient years of waiting for a “new face of shake and vac” competition never paid off and I thought my dream was over, until Iceland came to my rescue! On reflection it is much better to be Iceland’s new face as I don’t have any carpets at home and actually hate hoovering.

So, on Saturday, myself and some others from the New Face auditions, will get the chance to meet each other in person to try to impress the advertising agencies who are casting for Iceland’s T.V adverts. I honestly can’t wait to meet the other finalists, several of whom have become good friends now through the modern technology of computer communication.
Obviously I have a few nerves too, but I expect once we all meet up it will be a fun atmosphere this time rather than the pure fear I felt at the first auditions!

There are no scripts to learn, but apparently there will be choreographers and acting coaches there to help us, as well as makeup and hair people. How exciting! I have been reassured that no singing will be involved. This is good to hear, as I decided my singing in public days were over the day I had my microphone forcefully unplugged halfway through my rendition of “Puff the Magic Dragon” on holiday a few years ago. The shame has never left me.

Earlier this week I also ordered Iceland‘s home delivery service on my shopping for the first time. I had seen what it was like helping the driver the week before, and this time wanted to try it as a customer. I was very impressed and will definitely keep doing it now as it was so much easier. It was pouring down with rain when I came out of the shop and all I had to do was jump straight in my car and go home rather than manoeuvring my full trolley across the car park trying not to mow any one down and getting soaked. I also claimed my free book online with the code on the ticket they gave me in store when swiped my bonus card. I’m looking forward to reading it, a nice thank you for only having to spend £15 in store; I will probably choose another of the titles next week.

The boys seem happy to be back at school this week, although they would never admit it. To help make it more fun, we had an after school tea party. Luke was very excited when he got home to find we had been given brand new recycling bins and a big black wheelie bin. At least I know if I’m ever in doubt about which one to use, I can ask Luke, as he and Sam both seem to have turned into little eco warriors. He showed me that this new one was much bigger than the one we have already as one of the things you could now put in the green box was him!


Time for me to go now and practice my dance skills. I’m hoping that my drama O-Level and experience of workout DVDs is enough to pull me through the casting day haha! As always I will just do my best and leave the rest to fate, but please come back next week to hear all about it.

Wish me luck!
Ellie
x

PS You can still watch my audition on my page at the Iceland website, just follow the links from http://www.iceland.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment