Friday 4 June 2010

Special Deliveries

ANOTHER NEW EXPERIENCE FOR ME....
ICELAND’S FREE HOME DELIVERY....
THEY’LL BRING IT TO YOU IN THEIR VAN....
IF YOU CAN’T CARRY YOUR SHOPPING THE DRIVER CAN....
I WENT IN THE FREEZER IT MADE ME SHIVER...
IT’S WHERE THEY STORE ALL THE FOOD THEY HAVE TO DELIVER....
THAT WAY IT’S KEPT COOL RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR....
JUST ASK NEXT TIME AT YOUR LOCAL STORE!

Hello,

It’s been another interesting week for me. Last Wednesday I spent the day with my local Nailsea home delivery driver Donna, learning about how the system works and meeting other customers like me.

Home delivery is something I have never tried before, because I thought I was being lazy if I asked someone else to bring my shopping home - I have a tendency to just struggle on.

But the solution has been there all along. You only need to spend £25 pounds and all the stress is gone. You just pick your time slot and Iceland will bring all your shopping home for you, without the worry of having your garlic breads dropping out on the high street or your ice lollies melting on the way home!

Donna explained to me that rather than thinking I was being lazy, the stores actually want you to use their service. The more deliveries they make means more happy customers for them and as it is totally free to us the customers, you could say everyone’s a winner.

Donna then showed me what happens to your shopping after you pay at the checkout and go home to get on with the other jobs or, if you are really lucky, to go home and put your feet up! It is sorted straight away into chilled, grocery or frozen and stored appropriately until ready to go into the temperature controlled van. I went and saw inside the huge freezer room. The last time I went into anywhere that cold was when I used to be a nurse going into the supplies freezers. I used to work a lot of night shifts and scared myself to death every time I went in there imagining the door locking behind me even though it was impossible to do!


Soon we were loading up the van and heading off to our first customer. She was an elderly lady who uses the service regularly as she doesn’t drive and can’t walk home with lots of heavy bags. She recognised me from the posters in store and made me laugh by saying I know who you are; you are “Lady Iceland”; how nice to have been given a title!

Next stop was a younger lady who again had no transport and explained that she likes to walk into town and then walk back without being laden down with shopping.

The final stop was a residential home where again; the carers said that they depended on Home Delivery to bring the bulk orders for their residents.

I will definitely be using Home Delivery for my ‘big shops’ from now on and maybe even my so called ‘small shops’ which never are in the end! Having a choice of time slots means it will be easy to fit around school runs and I might even be able to shop in my lunch hour and just have it brought home after work.


Just one more thing I want to share with you this week, I have had my first ‘official’ invitation to open my son’s school summer fair! It did make me laugh as of course I know all the people at school and they know me, so it is funny that they are treating me like a ‘celebrity’. I said I would be honoured, and am thinking of buying myself a Queen Mother style hat for the occasion. Iceland has also been very kind in agreeing to sponsor our school fair. It’s nice to know that my local community are also enjoying my new Iceland ‘celebrity’ status!

It’s been half term this week, so please come back to see what we’ve been up to, and also to hear about the exciting “treasure hunt” that I went on all around Clevedon. Great fun but who won the treasure?
Ellie
X

No comments:

Post a Comment