Friday 28 May 2010

Birthday Celebrations

ON THE 14TH MAY,
SAM SHOUTED HURRAY…
HE WOKE UP AT SIX…
TO OPEN “FLICK TRICKS”….
MUM WANTED TO SLEEP…
BUT THE CHILDREN DID LEAP….
HER TIREDNESS SOON WENT AWAY…
AS IT WAS SAM’S BIRTHDAY!

This week’s poem is written by Sam; I think he may be following in my footsteps of writing silly rhymes about everything!

As you may know it was Sam’s tenth birthday last week. He wanted to start the celebrations at about 5am but I’m afraid I wasn’t quite up to singing Happy Birthday at that point and sent him back to bed! It was a school day, so we had a quick present opening celebration in the morning…


“Flick Tricks “for anyone who doesn’t know, and who hasn’t got little boys, are miniature BMX bikes that you move with your fingers and make go up ramps and do tricks with. A bit like the stress relieving toys you find in Christmas catalogues for tired executives. Unfortunately the fun is also to take them apart and customize them, but the parts are so tiny they regularly end up in my vacuum cleaner, so Sam was very happy to get some new ones and set off to school.

Later on, Sam had asked for a couple of best friends to come back for tea. Birthdays do seem easier and more civilized now they are getting past the stage of bouncy castles, where the mum’s wait nervously on edge praying that no one bounces off and breaks any bones.

I had found a note in Sam’s school bag from his friend Max saying “I knew your mum would win, you are famous now Sam and I bet all your birthday food is from Iceland! Can’t wait to come to your party and frighten your mum with Larry’s present!”

I think that despite the presents I had given Sam earlier in the day, the present from his friend Larry was his favourite; it was utterly disgusting and boys of course really like that. I won’t go into too much detail, as you really don’t want to know, but it involved joke fake bodily fluids to leave around the house and frighten parents and visitors with. They went down a storm with Granny!

Max was right about the food, we had a lovely birthday tea with family and friends; the only thing not from Iceland was the birthday cake made especially by Granny. It all went down very well as always, including the healthy carrot sticks (carrots from Iceland of course!).

It was a good birthday according to Sam and as a mum, that’s all you ever want to hear. Rob even did all the washing up once all the guests had gone which meant it was good for me too.

Since the ‘turning ten’ celebrations, we have all been enjoying the fabulous weather. On the first day of this mini heat wave, I made the mistake of sitting down in the sun for what I thought would be ten minutes. Unfortunately I fell asleep in an instant and woke up later with lovely red stripes down the front of my legs and arms. Oops!

We have had loads more fun over the weekend with plenty of water fights and barbecues. Despite the heat, the boys never seem to lose their energy like I do, so on Sunday we went tree climbing in the park. (I just watched though, I think my tree climbing days are over!)

Rob and I also managed a lovely evening out when we went to see our own local Nailsea band ‘The Rinky Dinks’ play in Bristol. The Rinky Dinks are unlike any other band due to the fact that they play all their songs on their ukuleles! Everything from George Formby to The White Stripes. They have to be heard to really be appreciated, but it’s the sort of music you have to dance to and their following is so big in their home town of Nailsea, they hired a double decker bus especially for all their fans to go to Bristol and back.

Monday always seems to come around too quickly after a nice weekend but this week we had the added excitement of ‘Roald Dahl’ week at school, where everyone had to dress as characters from his famous books. Luke went as ‘Willy Wonka’ with top hat and cane and my jacket and purple gloves. Sam went as ‘Mr. Twit’ and complained that his beard was itchy. I’m not really surprised, especially in this heat!


The next exciting thing to happen in my new role as ‘The Face of Iceland’ is on Wednesday when I shall be spending the day with the Home Delivery team in Nailsea, meeting other customers like me. Please come back next week to see what happened and how I got on, you never know maybe I will meet you whilst I’m out and about!

Ellie x

No comments:

Post a Comment