Friday 2 July 2010

Two dreams come true in one week

I CAN’T BELIEVE IT; I’LL BE ON T.V.......
I’VE ALSO BEEN TO GLASTONBURY........
IV’E WALKED MILES AND MY MUSCLES ACHE....
JUST HOW MUCH EXCITMENT CAN ONE MUM TAKE?!

Hello everyone and I hope you aren’t all as sunburnt as me!

Before my mum reads this and phones me to tell me off, I must add that I had a hat and sun screen on, but have still managed to end up looking like Clint Eastwood in a cowboy film after he has been stuck out in the desert and crawled back into town with a face full of blisters and cracked lips! Not a good look.

Yes, I have just experienced my first ever Glastonbury festival and apparently it was the hottest one ever recorded. I have been saying I’d love to go for at least the last 15 years and this year I actually did it!


As I packed my rucksack I felt so excited about life. I had just received a call from Iceland to confirm I will be in all three of their next TV advertising campaigns. I must have won them over with something special, because however hard to believe that seems, I can tell you now it wasn’t on the strength of my singing! The great news is that all the other lovely ladies I met at the casting day will have a part too, in either one or more of the adverts. I am now truly following in the footsteps of my greatest hero, the shake and vac lady from the 1980’s! Not sure what she would have made of Glastonbury though and her beige suit would definitely not have been suitable to wear!


Whenever I have watched the coverage on TV before there was mud everywhere; however in this mini heat wave what would have been mud was thick dry dust clouds. I’m sure a lot of people thought they had very quick sun tans that in fact were just dirt. As you enter the gates of the festival you say goodbye to all your home comforts and the things we all take for granted like washing, having your own toilet and making cups of tea. Quite scary at first, but at the same time also exciting to have a complete break from normal life, and it certainly makes you realise how lucky we all are in this country.

The size of the place is overwhelming. The sea of tents stretches as far as the eye can see and with nearly 200 000 people there that is a lot of tents! Rolf Harris opened the show and at 80 was still so full of life and humour he had the crowd in the palm of his hand.
Florence and The Machine were also one of my favourites and when she started to sing “dark days are over” I had goose bumps. The sun and heat really were very intense and with very little shade anywhere every tree you passed had people squashed under it like sardines. However this didn’t put people off wearing full thick fancy dress costumes. I saw a group of penguins, a gang of crocodiles in full fluffy body suits, 6 Michael Jacksons, some “where’s Wallys” to name just a few! Everywhere you looked there was something to take in.




After a bit of exploring I found my favourite part was the “green fields” area. It’s the area where most of the children and families stay and also where the Glastonbury veterans and traditional hippies seem to be. I watched lots of small unknown bands playing here and it really was a much more relaxed calmer and cooler atmosphere than the huge crowds at the main stages. There really was something for everyone. I met a lot of people up there who said they don’t watch the main bands at all as there is so much to do. You can make jewellery, have massages, watch fire eaters, see sand and metal sculptures, people doing circus tricks, have tarot card, palm and rune readings and so much more I couldn’t fit it all in! I even found a healer who gave me some treatment for my terrible sun burnt blistered chin and nose that seems to be working well now thank goodness.

I deliberately haven’t mentioned the toilets as I was brought up being told, “If you can’t say anything nice then don’t say anything at all “. So I will have to opt for saying nothing at all on that one, but whatever you are imagining you are probably right! Despite that, and the sunburn, and taking over an hour to try and find the car again before we could even join the traffic jam to get home, it was the experience of a life time and since I’ve been home all I’ve wanted to do is watch the TV footage to catch up thinking of all the time I was there!


Here’s one last question for you, what do Iceland, me, and Glastonbury all have in common?
Well I’ll tell you. We are all 40 years old within the next 12 month period. What a great vintage!

So with one life ambition fulfilled I am now looking forward to the next one in a couple of weeks when we start filming the first Iceland advert. We all laughed so much on the audition day I can’t wait to get together and do it all again for real.
Ellie
X

No comments:

Post a Comment