Thursday 24 February 2011

Feeling nostalgic

THE BOYS WENT OFF TO THE SCHOOL DISCO....

THE PREPARATIONS WERE LIKE A FASHION SHOW....

THE SMELL OF LYNX NEARLY KNOCKED ME OUT....

THEY’RE GROWING UP THERE IS NO DOUBT!

Hello again,

I can’t believe I have reached “blog number 40”. This means for 40 weeks now I have been sharing my ramblings with you about the Taylor family’s daily life! Time seems to pass so quickly and I think it’s true what my Granny used to tell me that every year goes faster than the last.


I had a sharp reminder that my “babies” are growing up this week when they went off to the school disco. I always thought it was girls that spent hours in their bedrooms getting ready for these things from my own memories, but it seems boys are just the same, minus the make up! They used nearly the entire can of Lynx body spray from their Christmas gift sets and I thought perhaps I should be wearing protective breathing apparatus to enter their bedrooms. The hair gel was everywhere including a small amount actually on their hair and both had attempted the “Justin Bieber” look. The rejected outfits were strewn across the floor as if a small grenade had exploded inside their wardrobes. Once they were finally ready I took a picture of my quickly growing boys and Sam did his best “catalogue model pose” for the camera!

It really doesn’t seem any time at all since it was me going to the school disco and singing along to Duran Duran into my hairbrush whilst I decided what colour glitter spray to squirt into my hair. I think this must just be a delusion on my part as it’s only two weeks to go till my big fortieth birthday, so it must have been roughly 25 to 30 years ago. A scary thought!

It could be that I have a chance to relive my school disco days very soon as I am attending a school reunion on Saturday. It is the first one I have ever been to and I really don’t know what to expect. Will people look like they did when I last saw them all 25 years ago or will we all have to wear name badges to identify ourselves after the ravages of time have taken their toll! I have a feeling the mood will be very nostalgic as everybody there from my school year will either have just turned 40 or, like me, be just about to. The perfect time for a mid life crisis so it will be nice to be amongst others going through the same thing! My old school was actually very close to where I live now so despite doing a lot of travelling, and living in a few different towns over the years I have ended up close to where I started and have already bumped into quite a few old school friends in the village, so at least they won’t all be strangers. I also will be sharing a taxi to the venue with three others so at least I don’t have to walk in on my own and think “Help! I don’t recognise anyone!”

Also this week Rob followed up his T.V moment of fame by being recognised in a pub. We had gone to a quiz night in one of our locals and in the break we heard someone say “Excuse me but have I seen you on T.V?” I turned round with my best smile ready to talk about my year as “The New Face of Iceland,” only to realise he was talking to Rob and not me! Rob was quite embarrassed and tried to deny it, but the man was quite insistent so he had to confess it was him in the end. Feeling a bit put out I asked the man, “Have you seen me on T.V too in the Iceland adverts?” and he put me in my place and just said “No.” It was actually quite funny and at least Rob knows now how it feels to be recognised by people you don’t know!

We also started testing the new Iceland products this week. Rob’s children James and Jodie came round last Thursday, so it was a perfect time to try out the family feast Takeout box and a couple of puddings. The full reviews will be on the website in the coming weeks but it is safe to say they all gave it top marks.

It is half term this week, so a good time to stock up on food as they always seem to eat me out of house and home during the holidays. My two boys seem to eat and eat but I still have a problem getting Sam’s trousers to stay up. If they fit his long legs they are too big round the waist and if they fit round the waist they don’t go down to his ankles! I guess they must just burn it all off by being so active!

Talking of being active, the dog is now looking at me with sad eyes that say “Please can you hurry up, and take me to run round that big field now?” There is not much sadder than a dog looking at you with sad eyes, so it must be time to go and exercise both my dog and my children! She is just learning how to chase balls and bring them back now as I don’t think she did much of that in her previous life. The first time we threw a ball for her she just looked at us as if to say “What exactly to you expect me to do here?”

Please come back next week when I can tell you how the school reunion went and whether dancing to “Come on Eileen” felt as good at the age of 39 and ¾ as it did when I was 13!

Thanks for reading

Ellie
X

No comments:

Post a Comment