Friday 17 December 2010

The Nativity

IT’S NOT CHRISTMAS WITHOUT THE NATIVITY....
AND THERE’S NOWHERE I WOULD RATHER BE....
THAN IN THE SCHOOL HALL WATCHING THE TALE UNFOLD...
OF THE “GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD”!


Hello again,

It’s always a nerve wracking time watching the school play. I think every parent knows the feeling of sitting in the audience nervously willing them to do well. It was a big one for me this year as Sam is in his last year at primary school, and so it was his last proper Nativity play.

I still remember the very first one when he was at pre-school and very shy. I remember sitting and watching his sad face under his tea towel shepherd’s hat trying not to cry. I had to restrain myself from jumping up on stage and rescuing him as he looked so uncomfortable! Luckily as the years went on his confidence grew and he looked less uncomfortable with each performance.

A few years after the tearful shepherd he had a part as a frog and jumped up and down enthusiastically throughout the whole play so I knew then he was over his stage fright! You may be wondering where the frog fitted into the traditional Christmas story, but remember, teachers always have the challenge of creating parts for all the children. I think they do a great job at adapting the story each year so all the children have a turn to do something, rather than just give every child the part of “sheep number 24” or “Shepherd number 12”!

This year there was lots of singing and dancing involved and whilst I managed to get some film of Sam, Luke made sure he stood behind someone at all times! I think I just managed to get a glimpse of the top of his lasagne box crown in one shot!

The bit that brought tears to my eyes this year wasn’t even my own children but a little boy doing a saxophone solo after only three lessons. Okay I admit it was a slightly wobbly rendition of “Once in Royal David’s City” but for only three lessons it was fantastic! I just thought he was so brave to stand there and play on his own.

The bit that made me laugh the most was one little boy from reception year who obviously has a future in show business. The songs all had a modern feel and this little boy got so absorbed in the music he looked like a miniature member of the Black Eyed Peas as he strutted his stuff!

In the end it all went well and baby Jesus was born on stage, quite realistically I thought with Mary shouting “OW”! I think perhaps she had been watching Holby City!

Also this week, following the Christmas fair, our local papers reported on the opening and called me “Ellie from the Tellie” They also wrote, “Thousands of people braved the wintry December weather at Nailsea annual Christmas street fair which was declared the biggest and best for a decade. A fanfare of seasonal fun greeted the estimated 8,000 strong crowd.” They also put, “Poet Ellie is becoming known as the Pam Ayres of Somerset.” Wow what a claim to fame!

We have also been watching the finals of I’m a Celebrity and X Factor I was of course sad to see I’m a Celebrity end as I was getting used to seeing myself and all the other Iceland Mums in the advert breaks, but was also glad to see Stacey win. She really is a “glass half full” person! I couldn’t believe that whatever they threw at her she just kept smiling and laughing. The only other person I’ve ever met who is always so positive and happy all the time is my fellow Iceland mum Charlene. Mind you, I’ve never seen Charlene forced to eat disgusting creepy crawly things and nasty animal parts so I don’t know if she would still be smiling then. If I was made to put a bet on it though I would say she would!

I have to admit I always get a bit bored of X Factor by the final and prefer the early stage auditions so was glad to see the worst auditionees invited back. Just think, that could be me next year!

Well actually it couldn’t, as I have no intention of even applying but after this rollercoaster year with Iceland I still firmly believe anything is possible!

I hope all your own Christmas preparations are going well, and that like me, you are all enjoying your children’s starring moments up and down the country.

Thanks for reading

Ellie
X

No comments:

Post a Comment