Monday 6 December 2010

Winter is here!

THE BOYS WERE EXCITED TO SEE THE SNOW...
MY FIRST REACTION WAS “OH NO”...
ALTHOUGH SNOW IS PRETTY AND LOOKS VERY NICE....
I DON’T LIKE THE SLIPPING AND SLIDING ON ICE!

Hello again,

I know as a nation we are known to others for continually talking about the weather, but I’m afraid I have to reinforce this stereotype by saying first of all: snow in November?! What’s that all about?! I admit it does look very pretty, and as always the first thing I did when the snow came down was grab the camera and take pictures like a mad tourist who has never seen the white stuff before. It also gave me the perfect excuse to put the Christmas tree up because somehow it doesn’t seem too early when everything is white outside.

I think the way you decorate your tree reflects the type of person you are. Organised people chose a different colour scheme every year and create a work of art with every bauble colour co-ordinated and equally spaced. Christmas addicts really go to town and cover the tree until it can hardly be seen and have light up reindeer on their lawns and perhaps inflatable Santas. Environmentalists have natural holly branches and mistletoe and make their own decorations every year. I think we must be a mixture of all these. Sam and Luke love to decorate the tree themselves so usually I have to secretly move a few baubles later as they end up with big clusters and then bald bits of tree. We also have a selection of handmade dangly creative things that they have made themselves going back to pre school days and I would feel like a bad mother if I didn’t allow these things pride of place every year!

The big argument in our house is usually over what goes on top, star, or fairy. I have just about given up now as the one year I managed to get my fairy the starring role she later ended up head down in a plant pot thanks to sabotage by the boys.

Anyway those are the plus points of having lots of snow early in the year, it looks pretty and you can put your tree up. There are a few negatives too. I absolutely hate having to get up earlier just so you can go and stand outside freezing to death whilst you try and find your car under a big blob of snow and ice. I also hate the feeling of ice skating in my car; I was never any good at doing it on my own feet so it’s even worse on four wheels. They tell you on the news not to go out unless it is necessary, which I’m sure is good advice but I’m always left wondering who are these people who like to go out when it is not necessary? Do some people normally just get up and say I’m just going out but I don’t know where to, or why? If I go out there is always a reason for it, so it is necessary!

The other problem with really cold weather is that things seem to break more easily. Ironically my freezer in the garage broke down this week. It was actually warmer in the freezer than in the garage itself so I would have been better off not putting the food inside at all. This did mean that some of my Christmas party food from Iceland needed eating sooner rather than later so I decided to take it to share with friends. There are a group of mums from school who I often meet up with for a party at home. Usually something is for sale like candles or nice smelly things but really it is always just a nice excuse to all meet up without the children and enjoy a glass of wine and a chat. I decided to take the big fruit platter, mini kebabs and breaded garlic prawns to see what they all thought and to help me with my food reviews.

I have never been a big fan of fish in general so was relying on their views for my official write up on the prawns. They went down very well and I was told they were very juicy and full of garlic and tasted just as good, if not better than the same from a higher priced supermarket! The chocolate covered fruit and kebabs were also well received with everyone preferring a different fruit.

We all agreed at the end of the party that it would be very nice if my time as a general new product tester for Iceland could continue for a long time! With so many willing volunteers you know that the overall opinions will be genuine and unbiased.

As I write this I am also preparing for my role as official Nailsea Christmas fair opener. I have to admit I am getting more and more nervous as I want to do a good job but am really not sure what I will say. If only speeches were as easy as blogs! Perhaps that is how I should think of it and write myself a little note.

Please come back next week when I will be able to tell you how it went and whether I kept my nerves under control!

Thanks for reading

Ellie

X

No comments:

Post a Comment